Friday, March 21, 2014

I Feel Lucky

Day 1 was everything I could have hoped for.  Lots of great games, 4 overtimes, 3 upsets accurately predicted, one of my Cinderellas (North Dakota St.) surviving, 2 highly favored teams (Florida and Louisville) looking a little shaky.  If only New Mexico St. could have pulled off the upset in the late game, then I would be ecstatic.

How are my brackets doing, you ask? Let's take a look:

Foundational

Love: 11/16 correct, 2 Sweet 16 teams lost
Hate: 10/16 correct, 2 Sweet 16 teams lost
Analysis: 12/16 correct, no Sweet 16 teams lost
Monkey Poo: 13/16 correct, 2 Sweet 16 teams and 1 Elite 8 team lost

Blends

Love/Analysis: 13/16 correct, no Sweet 16 teams lost
Analysis/Hate: 11/13 correct, 2 Sweet 16 teams and 1 Elite 8 team lost
Love/Hate: 12/16 correct, no Sweet 16 team lost
Hate/Monkey Poo: 12/16 correct, 2 Sweet 16 teams lost

Perfection: 10/16 correct, 1 Sweet 16 team lost

Clearly, by taking the pressure of a perfect bracket off of me and placing on Reality, Reality decided to assert itself and prevent some otherwise wonderful upsets from occurring. Like Huxley said, "...many a beautiful theory was killed by an ugly fact." Ugly fact, thy name is Syracuse.

How about today's games. Let's start with early batch:

(3) Duke vs. (14) Mercer

I have trouble imagining Duke struggling with this game, but if Mercer can pull off the upset, I will proclaim Verdukianism and drink nothing but root beer for the rest of my life.

(6) Baylor vs. (11) Nebraska

Baylor, as always, is capable of higher highs and lower lows than any team not named Tennessee.  Nebraska has to get past the "just happy to be here" problem. I don't think they do, and Baylor's superior talent wins out.

(7) New Mexico vs. (10) Stanford

I can't decide if Mountain West March Sadness Syndrome is stronger than General Pac-12 Mediocrity Malady.  I guess we'll find out.  Really could use a New Mexico win for my best surviving bracket.

(1) Arizona vs. (16) Weber St.

I will cheerfully withdraw my Foofraw Voodoo Curse if Weber St. can pull this one off.  Root Beers for Everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment